cr6zym0nkeyiz

cr6zym0nkeyiz

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

This Side of the Grave - Jeaniene Frost

I honestly feel like I have been waiting years and years and years for the fifth Cat and Bones book to come out. I mean they are one of the most talked about couples in the Urban Fantasy Genre, but This Side of the Grave was not as exciting as I thought it would be.

There are quite a few mixed reviews out there for this book. I have been waiting forever to see what will happen next for Cat and Bones only to find the book not as entertaining as the other ones, don't get me wrong it was still good, but not as good as the other ones. I felt like this book could have been better. And one thing preventing me from giving This Side of The Grave 4 stars was that I didn't see that spark/sexual tension between Cat and Bones. It was like one of those book when the couple gets together and the book continues on about their relationship and it is boring to read about that couple. NO! I am not suppose to feel that way!

I am mad that I feel that way. I don't know if maybe I hadn't read the other book in so long that I just could not feel for this book. Maybe that's it. Part of me thinks that maybe it's because Cat and Bones didn't really have a big obstacle to their love. Like in the previous book it was Cat's insecurity and the whole Bones eventually turning Cat into a vampire/has to protect him from Don/Tate's jealousy/Cat's father/Ian stuff in book 2/Gregor. We had all that and now we didn't really have an obstacle for this couple in this book. I never felt like Cat was in any real danger in this book also. Also the rumored Chapter 21 in this book to me doesn't even compare to One Foot in the Grave's Chapter 32, my opinion anyway.

Even though there were some things I didn't like, come on how could I not like some things in a Cat and Bones book. This book still had the humor from the previous books. Oh, Vlad. I love you. I am so glad to see some of my favorite characters back. We also got Spade and Menchere's lovers in this book which was awesome. So read First Drop of Crimson(Spade) and Eternal Kiss of Darkness(Mencheres) books. Although we did get some Cat and Bones moments I didn't feel like I had one that I really liked like in the other books. And we get to hear about the first half vampire, total shocker XD

OMG. Tate and Justine redeem themselves. Okay. Justine I understand, but Tate. I think he gave into the Cat's never going to want me thing way too soon. Maybe recent events caused him to have a change of heart. I really actually loved Tate always going after Cat. If there was no Bones, he would be perfect for her. We do have a moment in this book where a character we may have come to love dies. And yes, it made me tear up quite a bit. I love like all of the Night Huntress characters and have a place in my heart for each of them so I couldn't help tearing up.

All in all this was my least favorite book of the series and it actually really tears my apart to give a Cat and Bones book 3 stars. I hope this doesn't happen again though. I am nervous about the next book, One Grave at a Time. I am curious about how the sixth book will play out, what will happen and all of that. I have theories after this book that I would love to share if we feel like chatting.

More of my reviews at Mystifying Paranormal Reviews