cr6zym0nkeyiz

cr6zym0nkeyiz

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge - Kimberly Derting
I held the letter, vividly picturing the six words written inside the folds. Six words that I already knew by heart. Six words that meant more to me than they should. I unfolded the top third of the paper, then the bottom, purposely keeping my eyes unfocused for just a moment. My heart stopped.

THE PLEDGE was one of the best dystopian books I have read this year. I didn't expect to fall madly in love with Max, the book. But I was unable to put the book down until I flipping to the very last page of the book. The story of THE PLEDGE was quite an intriguing one, I can tell you that much.

In the world of THE PLEDGE people are to speak in one language, the language of their class. The royalty have one language they speak and the servants have one they speak and so on. There are some rules as well, You have to carry a passport at all times and if someone speaks another language keep your head down, because you are not suppose to understand them. If you do, you are sentenced to death.

I was too caught up in my own sullen mood. Angry, and more than a little frightened as well. The implications of someone knowing my secret were almost too much to even consider. No one, aside from my parents, had ever understood what I was capable of. No one had ever been allowed to know.

The heroine of this story is Charlie and she has a bit of a problem. She can understand all languages. The only people who know this is her family, but when a mysterious new guy pops into the picture he seems to show quite the interest in Charlie and she's not sure why. But it is obvious there is something about Charlie and that something I cannot spill to you because it is a total spoiler.

THE PLEDGE is beautifully written and I was impressed with the characters and plot. Charlie was a great female lead. She cares a great deal about her family and would do anything to protect them and this problem understanding languages is giving her more problems than it's worth, but in the long run it seems that it is really worth it to have the power to understand all languages because she can make difference of this messed up world the queen has created.

“Is this a bad time? If you’d rather be alone, I’ll go.”
“It’s—it’s okay,”
“Good, because it was an empty offer. I had every intention of staying. I’m Max.”

It is no secret that I love the male lead, Max. I can't tell you anything about him because it will totally give something huge away. But I can tell you that he cares a great deal about Charlie and he would do anything, absolutely anything to keep her safe. Charlie is Max's precious treasure. And he makes me swoon like all the other swoon worthy Young Adult guys.

All the other side characters in THE PLEDGE were amazing. I can tell you that you were always left guessing are they the good guys or the bad guys and there are a couple of big surprises in store as well. I enjoyed THE PLEDGE so much I am going crazy awaiting the sequel and I hope it is as amazing as this book was.

More of my reviews at Mystifying Paranormal Reviews