cr6zym0nkeyiz

cr6zym0nkeyiz

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare was one of the first series that I have ever read and I have come to love these characters and the obstacles they have endured in the first three books. With the excitement that there was to be a fourth book I was very anxious to get my hands on this book, but after finishing it I have become slightly disappointed with this book.

I think my big disappointment while reading this book was Jace. Early on in the book he has been a complete ass to Clary, the love of his life and it was making me hate him quite a bit and I hated that I felt that way. I got really frustrated with his character and I get part of why he is being the way he is to Clary, but at least talk your girlfriend and explain what is going on with you instead of making her assume the worst.

"White for Shadowhunters is the color of funerals," Luke explained. “ But for mundanes, Jace, it’ s the color of weddings. Brides wear white to symbolize their purity.” “I thought Jocelyn said her dress wasn’t white,” Simon said.
“Well,” said Jace, “I suppose that ship has sailed.”
Luke choked on his coffee."

One of the many reasons why I love this series is that Cassandra Clare has a way with these characters where we have these laugh out loud moments in the previous three book. That was a big reason I loved the book. I had so many favorite quotes that I didn't know what to do with them all. That is not the case in CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS. And I was kind of disappointed with that.

While I didn't enjoy the Jace and Clary storyline/POV, I greatly enjoyed everyone else's POV. I never thought in a million years I would enjoy reading the story in Simon's POV, but wow. He has become quite an interesting character. And I am a crazy Magnus and Alec fangirl! I wanted more of them, but I did quite enjoy what we did get. I loved seeing how their relationship was played out and enjoyed all of Alec's fears of Magnus' past. I so want more of them in the next book.

"Still I pictured having you for fifty, sixty more years. I thought I might be ready then to let you go. But it's you, and I realize now that I won't be anymore ready to lose you then than I am right now. Which is not at all."

So while I enjoyed the characters, I did not enjoy the plot of the book. I don't want to say this, but The way everything ended in City of Glass it just seemed like Cassandra Clare came up with this plot on short notice. There was not going to be any more Mortal Instruments books after the third, so the third was suppose to be the last and it felt like the last book, it felt complete, finished, perfect.

This book just seemed rushed, sort of weird, like is this really the same author who wrote the Mortal Instruments? Again, I hate that I feel that way, and I think another sign is that I started this book the say it came out and I am just now finishing it and it is about a month it took me to read this book. I probably will not rush out to buy the next one, but I hope that the next in the series plays out better than this one did

More of my reviews at Mystifying Paranormal Reviews